Local News

Suspect chased down by victim linked to 4 Castleberry Hill robberies

March 2, 2013

The suspect who was chased down by a woman after allegedly robbing her and stabbing her in her hands Monday has now been linked to three other robberies in the Castleberry Hill neighborhood, Atlanta police said.

Brian Duncan, 23, remains in custody at the Fulton County Jail and faces multiple counts of armed robbery and aggravated assault, authorities said Friday.

Police said that in addition to Monday’s Mangum Street robbery, Duncan was positively identified in three Chapel Street robberies from last year — Aug. 17, Oct. 20 and Dec. 23. In those incidents, the victims were attacked by a man wielding a brick, Atlanta police spokesman Sgt. Greg Lyon said. In the Aug. 17 robbery, the victim also got into her car and chased the suspect, according to the police report.

Duncan was arrested Monday night after allegedly robbing a woman who was unloading her car in the parking lot of an apartment complex. The woman told police that when she noticed a man running toward her, she ran into the building, but he followed her. As she struggled with him, he stabbed her hands and took two of her bags before fleeing. The woman got into her vehicle and drove in the direction in which the suspect had fled. She found him and drove onto the sidewalk to block him, at one point hitting him, police said. He kept running, but someone pointed out his location to authorities and he was arrested without incident.

The woman was treated at the scene and refused transport to the hospital, police said.

About the Author

Angel K. Brooks is a senior manager for the programming team, focusing on quality control. She has been with the AJC since 2007 and started as a sports copy editor. She is a graduate of Florida A&M University.

More Stories