Lawrenceville fire displaces family

A pan of oil left unattended on a stove caused a house fire Thursday in the 600 block of River Oak Loop in Lawrenceville.

One male resident was asleep upstairs when a smoke detector woke him shortly before noon, according to Gwinnett fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge. The man escaped unharmed.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke showing from a two-story house when they arrived. The blaze caused heavy fire and heat damage to the first floor and extensive smoke damage to the second floor.

The Red Cross responded to provide temporary assistance for a displaced family, which included a mother, father and two adult children.