“All were evaluated by paramedics for possible smoke inhalation,” Rutledge said. “The three children were transported to the hospital for further observation.”
None of the injuries were described as life-threatening.
The fire appears accidental, Rutledge said, and originated from the kitchen of a first-floor apartment.
“The occupant in the unit where the fire started was cooking and told the fire investigator that the grease ignited on the stove,” Rutledge said. “He attempted to douse the fire with water, but the flames spread out of control.”
The blaze caused heavy fire damage to one apartment unit and extensive smoke and water damage from firefighting efforts in three adjoining units.