Its first score for 2019 is a considerable decline from Applebee’s receiving an 89, or B, on its March 1, 2018, score.
According to the inspector's report, an employee was seen handling and cutting celery with bare hands. Corn dogs in the cooler, bread sticks and apple fritters in the freezer and sliced cheese in the prep cooler were all stored uncovered, the report adds. Other violations include:
- the dishwasher not sanitizing dishes;
- two microwaves had heavy buildup of food debris;
- grilled chicken cooked to 153 Fahrenheit for the final cook temperature;
- Two containers of marinara sauce reheating in a steam table that is not able to rapidly reheat food;
- food stored in coolers and refrigerated drawers holding above 41 degrees Fahrenheit;
- French onion soup holding below 135 degrees Fahrenheit; and
- two containers of Mexi-rice stored in the walk in cooler, which were cooling from the night before, failed to reach 41 degrees Fahrenheit within a total cool down time of six hours.
Georgia has rules it requires every food service operation to follow. These are just a few of the many health and safety regulations. Food service operations without a permit are illegal. Employees must know how to prevent foodborne illness and the symptoms of those illnesses. Food must be kept at the correct temperatures to prevent pathogens from growing. Employees must meet standards of cleanliness while working around food. If health laws are not met, the food service's permit may be suspended.
A follow-up inspection is scheduled for April 25. Pamela Jones, a spokesperson for NRP, an Applebee's franchisee, said the company is "disappointed" with its latest health score. Jones told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Applebee's has the highest regard for the health and welfare of its guests.
“These issues are isolated to this location and we will continue to cooperate with the health department,” she added. “The restaurant is thoroughly addressing the issues and using this as an additional training opportunity for team members in anticipation of the health department re-inspection.”
Like Cobb County News Now on Facebook |Follow on Twitter