Ex-boyfriend surrenders in fatal drive-by
A man wanted in the drive-by slaying of his former girlfriend turned himself in to Covington police Saturday, authorities said.
Hannibal Wayne McMullen, 47, was charged with murder in the death early Friday of Ketitra Techelle Jones, who had filed for a temporary order of protection against the man.
Police said McMullen turned himself in around 5 p.m. Saturday. Police along with family and friends of McMullen had been in touch with him via cell phone and text messaging since late Friday, urging him to surrender.
The fatal shooting occurred on Washington Street near Carroll Street in Covington. Witnesses told police they heard and saw shots being fired from a blue Toyota Corolla and into a silver Dodge Ram truck driven by Jones.
Both vehicles were traveling northeast toward Covington’s town square. After the shooting, Jones’ truck crashed into an awning at the Pure Station on Washington Street near Carroll Street, police said. She was fatally wounded.
McMullen, who owns a detail shop in Covington, was identified as the suspect and was considered armed and dangerous.
Police said Jones and McMullen had been in a relationship that ended several months ago. Channel 2 Action News reported that Jones had sought an order of protection against McMullen.
Jones was described by one acquaintance, Annette Victor, as “a very sweet girl. She didn’t bother nobody,” Victor told Channel 2. “Every time she’d see you, she’d have a smile on her face. She worked at Wal-Mart; she’d greet you with a smile.”
McMullen was taken to the Newton County Detention Facility, where he was being held Saturday.
Staff writers David Ibata and Mike Morris contributed to this report.
