A 74-year-old Lawrenceville man and his dog were killed in a house fire Sunday, according to Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services.
A neighbor called 911 Sunday morning to report what sounded like an explosion followed by flames and smoke pouring from the house on the 80 block of Bleeker Street.
Eventually, firefighters located the body of Felix Henry Hayes and one of his two dogs. The other dog was found alive.
Hayes was the only person home at the time, as his wife was away visiting an adult daughter.
He was found lying on the floor near the back door, fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge confirmed Monday. The Gwinnett medical examiner said Tuesday that Hayes died of smoke inhalation.
The fire appears to have started in the corner of a garage that had been converted into a living room, Rutledge said. The smoke alarms apparently did not work.
Rutledge said medical oxygen tanks and a space heater were found in the debris.
In other news:
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.