Ralph Jones Jr.
Photo: Winder Police Department
Photo: Winder Police Department

North Georgia man allegedly shot 2 women before kidnapping 1 of them, fleeing to SC

A Winder man is accused of shooting two women before kidnapping one of them and taking her to South Carolina.

Ralph Jones Jr., 27, faces five felonies from the alleged string of incidents, which took place Monday, Winder police said in a news release.

About 10:15 a.m., witnesses said they heard three or four gunshots in the area of Sweet Gum Lane, the release said. A car had left the scene, but a 23-year-old woman had been left behind.

The woman had multiple gunshot wounds and was taken to an area hospital, where her condition is unknown. 

Police were able to identify Jones as the suspect, and he was believed to have a 20-year-old woman with him that he was likely holding against her will, the release said. Other law enforcement agencies were told to look out for Jones and his vehicle.

Authorities in Oconee County, S.C., found Jones’ vehicle later that day, and the 20-year-old woman was inside, the release said. She had a gunshot wound, and was taken to an area hospital. Her condition is also unknown.

Jones was found walking nearby, and he was taken into custody, the release said. 

He faces two counts of aggravated assault (family violence), two counts of aggravated battery (family violence) and one count of kidnapping. The suspect’s relation to the victims was not provided.

Jones is awaiting extradition to Barrow County.

In other news:

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.