Darriah Mitchell pictured with his mother. 
Photo: Channel 2 Action News
Photo: Channel 2 Action News

Gwinnett teen who spent 2 years in jail for rape charge to get bond trial

A teenager is getting a chance to get bond after spending two years in a juvenile jail on rape charges from 2016, Channel 2 Action News reported.

Darriah Mitchell and three other juvenile defendants have been locked up and denied bond in a rape case, which allegedly took place May 2016, Channel 2 reported. Mitchell has been held at the Rockdale Regional Youth Detention Center. 

Mitchell, who was 15 at the time of the alleged assault, was denied bond once but will have another bond hearing on Tuesday. The other teens will not get a new bond hearing. 

Tavien Hartwell, William Thompson and Cameron Richard are the other three teens awaiting trial, which does not have a set date, the news station reported. 

All four were charged with rape and Richard was additionally charged with possession of child pornography for allegedly filming the incident.

They’re accused of sneaking out of South Gwinnett High School with a 16-year-old girl and raping her while she was under the influence of Xanax and marijuana. The four teens allegedly assaulted her while she was in and out of consciousness, while on the ground.

The alleged victim told police she left school with the four teenagers and went to a nearby bus lot off Skyland Drive, where “some of all of the five people in the case (went) for the purposes of doing drugs,” Snellville police Chief Roy Whitehead previously said.

In other news:

The judge in the case says he won't make the same mistake twice

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.