DragonCon founder Kramer’s Connecticut charges to be dropped

Authorities in Connecticut say they’ll probably dismiss a criminal charge against the co-founder of the popular science fiction convention DragonCon for allegedly having inappropriate contact with a 14-year-old boy.

Kevin Russo, a prosecutor for the state of Connecticut, said Monday that the case against Edward Kramer has been put on hold for 13 months, and will probably dismissed at the end of that time. Kramer was arrested in Milford, Conn., in September 2011 on a felony charge of risk of injury to a child. Police there said he had been caught staying in a motel room with a 14-year-old boy — a violation of his bond conditions in Georgia.

Kramer was extradited back to Gwinnett County in January, where he is accused of sexually abusing three teenage boys. Russo said it didn’t make sense for authorities in Connecticut to pursue a conviction for Kramer when he faces far more serious charges in Georgia. Kramer is being held without bond at the Gwinnett County jail.

“He has a much bigger case down south,” Russo said. “And it would also be impractical for us to get him back up here. The mechanics involved in prisoner transport are so cost-prohibitive compared to the prosecution that we didn’t feel it would be worthwhile.”

Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter said he is meeting with Kramer’s defense attorney, former U.S. Congressman Bobb Barr, on Tuesday to get a status update on Kramer’s medical condition.

Kramer was first arrested in Gwinnett on Aug. 25, 2000, however he was later released on bond. His trial was repeatedly delayed because he was believed to be physically incapable of sitting through the proceedings due to severe spinal and respiratory problems.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X