"I just still, actually, haven't gotten past it," said the woman, who asked not to be identified.
She told deputies she had sipped a Coca-Cola that she had bought from Wendy's and had left unattended on her office desk. After sipping the drink, she said her throat started to burn and she had trouble breathing.
The woman said she recognized the odor, saying it was similar to that of a commercial floor stripper that was near her desk.
Jones said surveillance footage showed that during the shift Smith was one of only two people who had access to the custodial area, and he said that Smith's statements didn't add up.
"Between seeing him in the area, between the fingerprints on the stripper that hadn't been used yet over the summer, his fingerprints on her cup," Jones said. "It just all adds together."
When investigators tested the soda, they found chemical levels consistent with ingredients of the floor stripping product. The manufacturer's website warns that the substance is harmful if ingested and can cause respiratory irritation.
"I watch movies like that," the victim said. "I would (have) never thought that something crazy would ever happen."
She was taken to Tavares' Florida Hospital Waterman for treatment.
Smith was booked into the Lake County Jail but was released after paying $25,000 in bail.
The school district said Smith's employment status is under internal review. Officials said he was assigned to another location with no access to the woman or to any children.