Boy, 8, dies after two days on life support

After being on life support for two days, an 8-year-old boy died Thursday from injuries sustained in a crash in South Fulton County, Fulton County police spokesman Sgt. Patrena Smith said.

Jamaris Davis was in a car with his parents and two siblings when Ana Kristina Bolton allegedly slammed her car into theirs following a police chase Monday afternoon. Wendy Mack, Davis' mother, suffered a collapsed lung, according to Channel 2 Action News.

“I thank God for the eight years I spent with that baby,” Mack told Channel 2. “Oh, Lord, thank you Jesus. I thank you for the eight years I spent with that baby.”

Mack’s husband and 3-year-old also are recovering from injuries, Channel 2 reported.

Mack told Channel 2 she saw the car about to crash into them. The accident happened at the intersection of Boat Rock Road and Fulton Industrial Boulevard.

Bolton’s court appearance was waived Thursday before Davis was pronounced dead.

Police initially said the boy died Monday, but later said he was taken to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston and was on life support.

East Point police Capt. Cliff Chandler said the incident happened when Bolton allegedly stole a car at a gas station in Atlanta about 1 p.m. Monday. Atlanta police then notified other agencies of the carjacking. East Point police spotted Bolton and a passenger about 2:40 p.m. in the car along Camp Creek Parkway.

Police didn’t immediately pull the car over, Chandler said, but instead followed closely. The stolen car sped off when the people inside noticed the police following them, he said. The stolen car eventually crashed into the other car.

Mack was still in her hospital bed when she found out her son died and told Channel 2 she thinks something needs to be done about police chases.

“She should have never been chased,” Mack said. “The law is put there to protect and serve.”

East Point police told Channel 2 the officer operated within their chase policy.

Bolton was charged with theft by receiving and fleeing and eluding by East Point police. Fulton County police charged her with aggravated assault, hijacking a motor vehicle and possession of a firearm. Other charges are pending, Smith said.

Bolton is being held in the Fulton County Jail.