MomoCon 2020 canceled due to coronavirus pandemic

MomoCon 2019 drew about 38,000 fans.

MomoCon 2019 drew about 38,000 fans.

MomoCon, the anime and gaming convention that brings tens of thousands of people to downtown Atlanta each year, will be skipping 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The convention announced Monday that it has canceled its 16th annual appearance due to the COVID-19 outbreak that has shut down many large events and gathering places, including the Georgia World Congress Center. MomoCon 2020 was initially set to take place there May 21-24.

The announcement comes about two weeks after the convention said it was “exploring new dates” for the four-day event, AJC.com previously reported. The convention amassed about 38,000 fans of Japanese anime, American animation, comics and gaming last year.

RELATED: MomoCon 'exploring new dates' amid coronavirus pandemic

“In light of the potential risks associated with large gatherings and increasing global travel restrictions, it became very clear that not holding the event over the originally scheduled dates was the right thing to do,” MomoCon said in a news release.

MORE: Atlanta anime, gaming and cosplay con marks 15 years

The release added that those who made advance purchases for MomoCon, such as hotels or True Dungeon tickets, will be contacted about refunds. The convention also provided contact information for refunds for pre-paid parking and other services, which can be accessed here.

The 2021 convention in Atlanta is scheduled for May 27-30.

For a full list of large events that have been canceled, click here.

In other news: