No one was inside of the building at the time of the incident at 2535 Caladium Dr. NE, DeKalb fire spokesman Capt. Dion Bentley said. A crew that responded to the scene found some damage inside of the building.
A spokesperson with Atlanta Gas Light told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that it coordinated with first responders to address reports of a natural gas smell near Hawthorne Elementary. A joint investigation into the issue determined there were no leaks on the natural gas service lines that Atlanta Gas Light maintains, she said.