What You Need To Know: John Singleton

John Singleton's rep says death report is 'inaccurate' as he's still on life support

“John is still on life support,” a representative for Singleton told The Los Angeles Times on Monday. “That reporting is inaccurate.”

>> Read more trending news 

WDAF initially reported that the director died, according to the station’s film critic Shawn Edwards, and the claim was picked up by a number of other outlets and shared on Twitter by some verified profiles. Edwards said he was informed of the news by members of Singleton’s family.

Related: Who is John Singleton? 5 things to know about the director

The local Kansas City station later cited Singleton’s rep who said he is still alive, but maintained that Edwards was told by Singleton’s family that he died. 

TMZ reported that Singleton is still alive but is in a medically induced coma, is nonresponsive and not is improving. His mother, Shelia Ward, reportedly asked to be appointed a temporary conservator because the filmmaker is “unable to properly provide for his personal needs for physical health, food, clothing, or shelter,” according to documents obtained by Entertainment Tonight.

The 51-year-old director had a major stroke April 17. He checked himself into Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles earlier this month after having problems with his legs when he returned home from Costa Rica.

Related: 'Boyz n the Hood' director John Singleton hospitalized after stroke

“On Wednesday, April 17, our beloved son/father, John Singleton, suffered a stroke while at the hospital. John is currently in the ICU and under great medical care,” Singleton’s family said in a statement at the time. “We ask that privacy be given to him and our family at this time and appreciate all of the prayers that have been pouring in from his fans, friends and colleagues. Thank you, The Singleton Family.”

FILE - In this Feb. 3, 2018 file photo, John Singleton arrives at the 70th annual Directors Guild of America Awards in Beverly Hills, Calif. The "Boyz N the Hood" director suffered a stroke last week and remains hospitalized, according to a statement from his family on Saturday, April 20, 2019.
Photo: Chris Pizzello/Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP

Singleton was the first African American nominated for a best director Academy Award. He earned the nomination for his 1991 film “Boyz N the Hood,” which starred Cuba Gooding, Jr., Laurence Fishburne, Ice Cube and Morris Chestnut.

Related: Director John Singleton in a coma after hospitalization for 'major stroke'

Taraji P. Henson and Tyrese, frequent collaborators with Singleton, visited the director after his stroke, according to People. Henson shared an old photo of herself with the two on Saturday and asked for prayers.
“Visited you today. Me and @tyrese prayed so hard over you. You heard my voice and jumped up,” Henson captioned her post. “I HAVE HOPE AND FAITH BECAUSE I KNOW THAT #GODIS. Keep praying EVERYBODY for our beloved @johnsingleton.”

“Heavy heart, state of shock but there was something powerful about feeling the presence of God that gave us the reassurance that God is going to pull him through this,” Tyrese wrote in a comment on Henson’s post. “The idea that me and taraji prayed hard over john so much history so much genuine love….. We can only hope and keep praying that God brings him back to us!”

Tyrese also posted his own photo tribute on Sunday, writing, “Praying hard for you John you are not just loved you are beloved and all of this hurts.”

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X