Traveling around the world, experiencing new cultures and meeting fascinating people are just a few of the perks Delta Air Lines’ flight attendants enjoy. But the job definitely has its demands. Employees must have a certain level of flexibility and be ready work evenings, weekends and holidays.
Also, the competition for the position is stiff. In 2012, Bloomberg reported that the airline company received 22,000 applications for only 300 spots.
So if you want to land the coveted job as a Delta flight attendant, you'll have to bring your "A" game. Here's what to expect:
These are the minimum qualifications.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Possess at least a high school diploma/GED equivalent.
- Possess current authorization to work in the U.S.
What are the training requirements?
- Must be able to complete and pass an anticipated 7-8 week paid flight attendant training at the 400,00-square-foot Atlanta training facility.
Documents needed to apply.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) pre-employment drug screen and thereafter submit to DOT mandated random drug and alcohol testing.
- Must be willing to comply with necessary pre-employment checks mandated by TSA and/or DOT.
- Must pass a background check including a government required fingerprint-based criminal history records check.
What’s the interview process like?
Delta uses the STAR method of interviewing, a technique that requires interviewees to answer a series of questions with past experiences, according to Delta’s website. Job candidates are advised to do their homework and absorb as much information as they can on current events, Delta’s financial situations and its people. The company also encourages its job applicants to arrive early and dress the part.
Physical demands for job.
- Must be able to sit in an assigned jump seat with seatbelt and shoulder harness fastened.
- Must be willing to open emergency exits and close aircraft doors weighing up to 60 pounds.
- Must be able to push and pull heavy beverage/food carts requiring 32 pounds.
- Must be willing to stand for long periods of time (e.g. up to four hours).
What top qualities does the company look for in employees?
Delta has a diverse pool of applicants that all have varying skillsets. Delta tries to look for candidates that represent its core values of “honesty, integrity, respect, perseverance and service,” said Morgan Durrant, a Delta spokesperson.
What's the salary?
The average salary for an Atlanta flight attendant is around $52,217, according to Glassdoor.
How can a job candidate stand out?
An easy way for a job candidate to stand out is to “respond quickly, provide accurate information and have done their research regarding Delta Air Lines in terms of company history,” Durrant said. “Having a genuinely positive attitude and warm gracious smile goes a long way."
This story was originally published in June 2016.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.