Well, here we go.
On the same day Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan penned a first-person column on what it felt like losing the Super Bowl to New England after leading 28-3 ("The Hangover" can be read on The Players Tribune), the Patriots delivered a sucker punch Thursday night.
The photo below was captured by Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman on Twitter.
Note the scoreboard above the tunnel at Gillette Stadium, before tonight's season opener against Kansas City.
Here. I'll enlarge it: "ATL 28, NE 3. 2:12 3RD QTR."
It's not surprising fans have jumped on the "28-3" things. A number of hats and T-shirts have been made and the comeback has been central to Falcons' jokes since February.
But it's a little surprising the Patriots as an organization would do that? Or then again, is it?
Do you think the Falcons would do the same thing if the situation were reversed?
What's interesting is Falcons owner Arthur Blank and Patriots owner Robert Kraft are good friends. At least I think they are. Or were.
Do you feel this is appropriate or out of line? You're free to vent.
Subscribe to the, “We Never Played The Game” podcast with the AJC's Jeff Schultz and WSB’s Zach Klein on iTunes. Episodes also can be downloaded from on-demand link on WSBRadio.com.
• LISTEN TO THE LATEST PODCAST: CLICK HERE.
- Weekend Predictions: Georgia over Lack of Irish, Falcons over Bears
- Expect Falcons' defense to take significant jump this season
- Quarterback aside, Georgia's season comes down to Smart and resilience
- Fromm gets his chance but assumptions about Georgia's QBs premature
- Falcons have line depth so Hageman suddenly wasn't worth trouble
- Other than injury, thoughts of replacing Jacob Eason are silly
- Alabama looks like legit No. 1 but Saban teams have been here before
- Power now too spread out to expect SEC's long reign will be replicated
- Weekend Predictions: Dogs, Jackets win; Saban schools another assistant
- Steve Sarkisian adapting to scheme but it's Matt Ryan's offense now
- Ryan's deal will eclipse Stafford's ($135 million) but not Rodgers'
- Weekend Predictions (sound check): 'Sack Schultz 2017' now open!
- CFB Special: @Twitter me this: Is it @UGAFootball's turn in the @SEC this season?
- Exclusive: Smart still growing as head coach, has some 'regrets' about first season
- Payne brought needed change to Masters and his exclusive world
- Tech gains apparel deal, loses a star, but Johns on says team will be fine
- Poll: How many starters do Braves have for next season? 1, 2 ... any?
- Falcons' history shows no correlation between preseason, regular season
- Falcons' defense should benefit from Poe's long journey to NFL
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.