1. Jeff Davis 21, Swainsboro 14: Swainsboro's first attempt at clinching its second consecutive 2-AA championship was stopped by a Jeff Davis team that was projected as a 29-point underdog by the computer Maxwell Ratings. Swainsboro can still win the title by beating Toombs County this week. Jeff Davis is tied for third place with Toombs and Vidalia.
2. Wheeler 18, Westlake 15: Wheeler, a 26-point underdog, denied Westlake's first attempt to win its sixth consecutive region title. Westlake can still clinch the 2-AAAAAAA championship with a victory against winless Campbell this week. Wheeler can earn its first trip to the playoffs since 2016 by beating Pebblebrook in a win-or-stay-home game Friday.
3. Northeast 26, Washington County 13: Northeast, which was a 17-point underdog, ended a 21-game losing streak against ranked opponents in its classification that dated to a 2003 victory over Mary Persons. The loss ended any hope Washington County had of finishing in at least a tie for first place in Region 3-AA and enabled Dublin to clinch the title.
4. Lithia Springs 15, Carver (Atlanta) 14: Carver was a 26-point favorite but lost to a team it had beaten in three previous meetings by a combined score of 161-13. Lithia Springs has won two 6-AAAAA games this season, both against 2018 playoff teams (Jackson of Atlanta was the other). Carver will finish in second place if it beats Decatur on Saturday.
5. North Murray 31, Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe 0: As expected, North Murray clinched the first region title in the program's 11-year history by beating 30-point underdog Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe. It was particularly significant because it officially ended Calhoun's state-record streak of 18 consecutive region titles. Calhoun will be the runner-up in 6-AAA.
Worth noting: Dooly County has won four of five games after an 0-4 start to the season that included a change in head coaches. The Bobcats beat 22-point favorite Brookstone 14-13 Friday in a 4-A crossover game, their seventh straight win in the series. ... Hampton beat Druid Hills 41-0 to clinch the first playoff berth in the program's six-year history. The Hornets are 5-4 this season after going 6-43 in their first five years and can clinch the No. 2 seed in 4-AAAA by beating Eastside this week. ... Sprayberry pulled off an upset for the second time in three weeks, beating seven-point favorite Creekview 27-21. A victory against River Ridge this week likely sends the Yellow Jackets to the playoffs for the first time since 2011. ... Starr's Mill, which was 2-3 overall at the midway point of the season, is one victory away from its fourth straight 3-AAAAA title after beating eight-point favorite Riverdale 42-41, which suffered its first region loss. Starr's Mill plays Griffin this week. ... Warren County beat 15-point favorite Aquinas 28-24 to end a seven-game losing streak in the series. The loss would have cost Aquinas the subregion title, but a loss to Hancock Central earlier this season was recently overturned by forfeit, allowing the Fighting Irish to advance to the 7-A championship game against Mount de Sales.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.