Week 10 saw two ranked Class AA teams lose to unranked teams, but neither should be considered upsets. The No. 2 Callaway Cavaliers lost 13-10 to the Heard County Braves and the No. 7 Vidalia Indians fell 15-8 to the Swainsboro Tigers.
We’ll start with the Cavs, who lost to the Braves in a key Region 5-AA game. The win could propel the Braves (5-2, 3-0) back into the top 10, where they opened the season at No. 2. As discussed Thursday, their only two losses were to ranked teams and they’ve won four straight since. The Braves are in line for their second straight region title, third in their last four seasons and fifth in their last seven. They still have to play No. 4 Bremen, however, and should the Blue Devils win that game, there would be a three-way tie for first place, as Callaway previously beat Bremen.
With the loss, the Cavs fell to 7-2, 4-1 but will likely remained ranked.
Kevin Eckleberry of The LaGrange Daily News has a writeup on the game.
In 2-AA, Swainsboro (6-2, 4-0) likely won its first region title since 2010 with the win over Vidalia (7-1, 3-1). To not win the region, they’d have to suffer an epic collapse by losing to both Toombs County (3-2) and Jeff Davis (2-2). As was noted in Thursday’s “what to watch” (linked above), it was no surprise the Tigers won based on how they were playing heading into Friday.
Southeast Georgia Today has the details of Swainsboro’s big win.
Here’s how the remaining ranked AA teams fared:
- After a tough loss to Allatoona, the top-ranked Hapeville Charter Hornets went back to doing what they do best: shutting out the competition. They beat KIPP 56-0 on Thursday to move to 7-1, 6-0 in 6-AA. It was their sixth shutout of the season.
- No. 3 Rockmart coasted to a 42-0 win over Coosa to improve to 8-0, 5-0 in 7-AA. Kevin Myrick of the Rome News-Tribune has the details.
- No. 4 Bremen beat Lamar County 35-7. The Blue Devils are 6-1, 3-1 in 5-AA. Walter Geiger has the story for The Herald-Gazette in Barnesville.
- No. 5 Rabun County beat Social Circle 63-7 to move to 7-1, 5-0 in 8-AA. AccessWDUN and Matthew Grimes for The Walton Tribune have game stories.
- No. 6 Washington County beat Southwest-Macon 46-22 to improve to 7-1, 3-1 in 3-AA.
- No. 9 Dublin beat Northeast Macon 35-3 to move to 8-1, 5-0 in 3-AA. WGXA has highlights.
- No. 10 Dodge County beat East Laurens 49-22 and are now 8-1, 3-1 in 3-AA.
- On bye: No. 8 Brooks County
Follow the AJC’s Class AA coverage on Twitter.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.