The first day of the GHSA State Cross Country Championships took place Friday as Classes AAAAAA, AAAAA and A-Private for both boys and girls competed in the 5K at the course at Carrollton High School. Here are the results:
Class AAAAAA: Richmond Hill’s Jalen Murray took the individual title with a 15:58.45 time and although Pope didn’t have a finisher among the top seven, the Greyhounds took the trophy. Pope’s Will Brown was the highest Greyhound finisher with a 16:54.18, good enough for eighth. Pope placed runners at Nos. 10, 11, 13 and 14 to average 17.04.52 for a 1:25:22.58 total time. For the girls, Cambridge defended its 2017 title with a team average of 20:28.33 and a total time of 1:42:21.64, edging out Harrison by only three seconds. Ashley Sechrest finished third with a 19:32.80 time and teammate Grace Gerlach placed sixth with a 20:04.58 finish. Creekview’s Makena Gates won the individual title with a 18:48.27 finish
Class AAAAA: Starr’s Mill’s boys team placed three runners among the top six finishers to run away with the team title. Union Grove’s Domonic Macias won the individual crown with a 16:35.93 time and McIntosh’s Zach Jaeger placed second (16:37.25) but Starr’s Mill’s Nick Nyman place third (16:52.96), Harrison Fultz placed fourth (17:02.85) and Ty Duben finished fifth (17:05.21) to pace the Panthers to the victory. For the girls, Woodland-Cartersville’s McKenna Trapheagen finished 40 seconds ahead of second place to pace her team to a state championship with a 1:41:18.41 total time for a team average of 20:15.69. Woodland’s highest finishers were Carlie Clymer and Angela Cochran at 10th and 11th, respectively. McIntosh and Starr’s Mill finished second and third behind Woodland.
Class A-Private: Wesleyan punched earned its 10th team championship after beating out Whitefield Academy by just over a second. Wesleyan (1:33:29.83) averaged 18:41.97 ahead of second-placed Whitefield (1:32:25.60), which averaged 18:29.12. Graham Blanks of Athens Academy won the individual title with a 16:31.89 time which edged Whitefield’s Devin Wade by 12 seconds (16:43.53). Mac Howie was Wesleyan’s highest finisher (18:07.68). For the girls, Atlanta International denied Wesleyan the chance to sweep the titles as it beat the Wolves by roughly four seconds. International (1:46:39.61) finished with a team average of 21:19.93. Second-placed Wesleyan (1:50:24.33) averaged a time of 22:04.87. Holy Innocents’ Jackie Addy blew away the competition to finish 35 seconds ahead of the next runner. Addy (19:02.77) finished ahead of International’s Reagan Mahoney (19:37.38) and Landmark’s Erin Fegans (19:42.09).
Class AAAAAA Boys
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
1. Jalen Murray, Richmond Hill, 15:58.45; 2. Jack Filan, Cambridge, 16:00.02; 3. Mark White, Lakeside, Evans, 16:29.46; 4. Sully Shelton, Harrison, 16:33.95; 5. Sam Rich, Lakeside, Evans, 16:40.0
Class AAAAAA Girls
1. Makena Gates, Creekview, 18:48.27; 2. Mckenna Croft, Douglas County, 19:11.13; 3. Ashley Sechrest,Cambridge, 19:32.80; 4. Alysa Miles, Creekview, 19:56.35; 5. Sophie Boice, Pope, 19:56.47
Class AAAAA Boys
1. Domonic Macias, Union Grove HS, 16:35.93; 2. Zach Jaeger, McIntosh, 16:37.35; 3. Nick Nyman, Starr's Mill, 16:52.96; 4. Antaures Jackson, Eagle's Landing, 17:02.61; 5. Harrison Fultz, Starr's Mill, 17:02.8
Class AAAAA Girls
1.McKenna Trapheagen, Woodland-Cartersville, 19:07.00; 2. Gabby Parsons, Union Grove HS,19:47.03; 3. Mackenzie Walls, Veterans, 19:47.35; 4. Zoe Smith, McIntosh, 19:48.89; 5. Elle Mezzio, Riverwood, 19:55.14
Class A-Private Boys
1. Graham Blanks, Athens Academy, 16:31.89; 2. Devin Wade, Whitefield Academy, 16:43.53; 3. Zackary Truitt, Landmark Christian, 17:02.03; 4. Grady Coppock, Savannah Christian, 17:44.65; 5. Kameron Jackson, Landmark Christian, 17:47.73
Class A-Private Girls
1. Jackie Addy, Holy Innocents, 19:02.77; 2. Reagan Mahoney, Atlanta International, 19:37.38; 3. Erin Fegans, Landmark Christian, 19:42.09; 4. Cara Joyce, Atlanta International, 19:43.76; 5. Hayden Puett, Holy Innocents, 20:12.20
Full race results can be found by visiting Perfect Timing Group by Clicking Here.