It looks like there will be a new team entering the Class AA top 10.
No. 2 Hapeville Charter manhandled No. 10 Douglass in a crucial 6-AA matchup that may have decided the region champion, and it wasn’t even close — the Hornets beat Douglass 43-6. With the win, the Hornets move to 4-1, 3-0 in region play.
For the Astros (5-1, 3-1), their first loss likely ends their three-week stay in the rankings — it was the first time since 2005 that they were in the top 10.
Here’s how the rest of the top 10 faired:
- In Region 7, the top-ranked Rockmart Yellow Jackets coasted to a 51-7 win over Chattooga to improve to 6-0, 3-0. The Rome News-Tribune has details.
- The No. 3 Callaway Cavaliers barely escaped Bremen with a 20-14 win in Region 5 action, improving to 5-1, 2-0 in the process. Kevin Eckleberry has the game story for The LaGrange Daily News.
- In Region 3, the No. 4 Dublin Fighting Irish outlasted Bleckley County, 41-32 to take the driver’s seat for a No. 1 seed. They move to 5-0, 2-0 and dropped the Royals to 4-2, 1-1. Dave Whitaker has the story for The Bleckley Progress.
- The No. 5 Rabun County Wildcats dominated Banks County 52-10 in Region 8 and are 6-0, 3-0. AccessWDUN has details.
- In a crucial Region 2 showdown, the No. 6 Swainsboro Tigers survived at Metter, 14-7, to improve to 4-1, 1-0. Metter is 4-2, 1-1.
- The No. 7 Fitzgerald Purple Hurricane shut out AAA’s Worth County 34-0 and are now 5-1.
- The No. 8 Brooks County Trojans made easy work of B.E.S.T. Academy, 54-8, in an non-region contest between AA schools. The Trojans are 3-3.
- The No. 9 Washington County Golden Hawks made easy work of East Laurens, winning 68-14 in their 3-AA opener to move to 4-1, 1-0.
Follow the AJC’s Class AA coverage on Twitter.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.