When Luke Lee's potential game-winning pass to Notre Dame-commitment Cane Berrong fell to the dirt Friday, No. 10 Jefferson had a 28-23 victory against fifth-ranked Hart County and had shaken up the region standings.
Colby Clark's 10-yard touchdown run gave Jefferson a 12-point lead with 10 minutes left in the game, and the Dragons had to hold on during two Hart County drives. Lee connected with Berrong on a 30-yard touchdown pass with 5:16 left in the game, which capped a 10-play, 70-yard drive and pulled Hart County back into the game at 28-23, but the attempted game-winning drive fell short.
Jefferson is now tied at the top of 8-AAA with Morgan County, each with 3-0 records. Monroe Area, after its 49-0 victory against Jackson County, is 2-1 and in third place. If the playoffs began tomorrow (and they don't), Hart County (1-1) would be the fourth seed.
In Region 7, Greater Atlanta Christian won 20-7 against Dawson County in a matchup that has decided the region title in the past three seasons. GAC led 14-7 after the first quarter after getting touchdown runs from Montae Bailey and Tre Henry. A touchdown pass from Jackson Hardy to Christian Thomas in the second quarter put the Spartans ahead 20-7, and GAC held on for the victory. GAC is 3-0 in the region and Fannin County, at 2-0, is the closest competitor. Dawson County fell to 2-1 and third in the standings.
Class AAA top-10 results.
1. Peach County (5-1, 2-0) was off and will play at home against Rutland on Friday in a Region 4 game.
2. Cedar Grove (4-2, 2-0) beat Towers 60-0 in a Region 5 game.
3. Pierce County (5-0) beat Brantley County 56-7 in a Region 2 game.
4. Greater Atlanta Christian (5-1, 2-0) beat Dawson County 20-7 Region 7 game.
5. Hart County (5-0, 1-0) lost to No. 10 Jefferson 28-23 in a Region 8 game.
6. Liberty County (3-0, 0-0) beat Tattnall County 40-0 in a Region 2 game.
7. Appling County (4-1, 0-0) beat Long County 45-0 in a Region 2 game.
8. Crisp County (4-3, 0-0) was off and opens Region 1 play against Monroe on Friday.
9. Lovett (4-2, 1-1) beat Stone Mountain 46-32 in a Region 5 game.
10. Jefferson (4-1, 2-0) beat No. 5 Hart County 28-23 in a Region 8 game.