Now down to one day to kickoff. A reminder for those driving to the game - on-campus parking will not open until 5 p.m.
1. Some fairly big news on the basketball recruiting front, as five-star power forward Wendell Carter Jr. from Pace Academy narrowed his list of prospective schools down to four, a list that included Georgia Tech . It remains to be seen what this means – Carter’s father said the top two are Harvard and Duke – but it’s regardless an indication of the work that coach Josh Pastner and his staff are doing on the recruiting trail.
2. After working diligently on defending screen plays last week, Tech’s defense was scarcely challenged on it by Vanderbilt. My colleague Doug Roberson had one of the funnier questions of the week, asking Ted Roof if he was maybe disappointed that Vanderbilt didn’t test his defense with screens. “I don’t know if I’d use the word disappointed, but we worked a lot on screens, all kinds of screen drills and will continue to do so,” he said. Clemson, Doug writes, is pretty expert at the screen game .
3. Tech kicker Harrison Butker might have been the most surprised member of the team when he was named one of the Jackets’ three captains last week . For one thing, he wasn’t even captain of his high school team at the Westminster School.
4. As is typical, Clemson began preparing for Georgia Tech in the spring and in the preseason. Also, the Tigers had an unlikely scout-team quarterback this week to mimic quarterback Justin Thomas. Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables. From The State .
5. Georgia Tech’s win over Vanderbilt gave the Yellow Jackets a little bit of a bump in computer and human rankings .
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.