Caption

Atlanta weather | Rain will persist through Monday

A flash flood watch remains in effect through Monday morning for much of north Georgia as showers are expected to continue through the evening.

By the time the weekend ends some parts of the metro area will have received as much as five inches of rain. Nearly three inches fell Saturday, setting a record for the date.

Channel 2 Action News meteorologist Brad Nitz said it could be Tuesday before the rain finally moves out. There’s a 70 percent chance of intermittent showers Monday, Nitz said, while temperatures will remain unseasonably cool, with a high of 63 and low of 48. Tuesday’s forecast calls for partly cloudy skies and a 30 percent chance of rain.

By Wednesday it’ll begin to feel like May again, with sunny skies and highs in the upper 70s expected.

This weekend rain caused problems throughout the area. Woodstock authorities said Rope Mill Park is closed until further notice due to the rising level of the Little River, which flows past the park. Heritage Park in Canton was closed as well, while flood warnings were issued for areas surrounding Big Creek in Alpharetta and Cumming.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 The Jolt: Johnny Isakson worries shutdown could threaten Super Bowl
  2. 2 ATL airport: After 2-hour lines Monday, more crowds coming
  3. 3 New Orleans answers Atlanta: ‘Don’t be mad at us that (Fal

Though an alarm sounded for much of the day at Atlanta’s R.M. Clayton Water Treatment facility, officials say there were no improper discharges. By late afternoon the alarm had ceased.

Trees and power lines were reported down in various metro counties, leaving as many as 3,200 Georgia Power customers in the dark.

Meanwhile, two people died in two separate crashes Saturday on I-20 in Greene County, according to the Georgia State Patrol.

Around 11:25 a.m., Calverence Roshard Lee, 29, of Wrens, died when the Honda Accord she was a passenger in crossed the median and into the path of a tractor-trailer, GSP spokesman Gordy Wright said late Saturday.

Lee and the Honda’s driver, Coranda Nicole Peeples, 26, of Morrow, were both ejected in the crash, which investigators believe was caused by the slick roadway. Peeples was taken to Athens Regional with serious injuries.

A second fatal crash occurred around 2 p.m. on I-20 westbound at Ga. 44, killing one and injuring four others, according to the GSP.

A westbound tractor trailer was approaching traffic that was stopped due to the first fatal crash at mile marker 127 when it hit a Ford Crown Victoria, causing the Ford to spin, the GSP said. The car was hit by the truck a second time and knocked backward into the rear end of a second tractor trailer, authorities said.

Rear seat passenger Annaleah Karth, a 17-year-old from Rocky Mount, N.C., was killed. Two other passengers and the Ford driver were transported to a hospital for treatment, as was the tractor trailer driver, the GSP said.

The crash remains under investigation by the GSP post in Madison and the GSP Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team. Charges are pending.

Alexis Stevens contributed to this report.

More from AJC