Mikell Lands-Davis rushed for 970 yards in 10 games last season as a sophomore for Alexander, but holding him below 1,000 could be nearly impossible in 2013. The 6-foot-1, 215-pound junior is almost a third of the way there after his performance last week. He ran for 321 yards and four touchdowns on 23 carries and caught three passes in a 41-14 victory against Bremen.
“Unique combination of speed and power, but what makes him really special is his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield,” Alexander coach Matthew Combs said. Lands-Davis had more than 1,000 receiving and return yards last season.
Here are some of the top metro Atlanta performances from last week:
- Blessed Trinity PK/P Marc Nolan averaged 47.5 yards on six punts, with an average hang time of 4.62 seconds, in an 18-0 victory over Westminster. Nolan put three punts inside the 15-yard line, one that went 61 yards in the air from the line of scrimmage. He kicked all five kickoffs for touchbacks and made field goals of 28 and 27 yards.
- Marietta QB Brenton Martin, making his first start, passed for 248 yards and five touchdowns in a 52-21 victory over Newnan.
- Arabia Mountain DL Baridakara Sigalo had 10 tackles, two sacks and four tackles for losses and forced a fumble in a 40-7 victory over Clarkston.
- Campbell RB/DB Mike Rogers rushed for 228 yards on 14 carries and scored three touchdowns, made a two-point conversion, had four solo tackles, blocked a kick and intercepted a pass in a 36-6 victory over Morrow.
- Chapel Hill sophomore RB Quincey Shelton rushed for 236 yards and two touchdowns in a 25-14 loss to Osborne.
- Greater Atlanta Christian RB Micah Abernathy rushed for 167 yards and two touchdowns in a 48-26 victory over Stone Mountain.
- Lovett RB Jay Harris rushed for 148 yards on 11 carries, outgaining all-state teammate Grant Haley (125 yards rushing on nine carries) in a 21-14 victory over Woodward Academy.
- McEachern RB Taj Griffin rushed for 154 yards and scored on a 90-yard touchdown run in a 31-10 victory over Brookwood.
- North Gwinnett DE Dante Sawyer had seven solo tackles, two for losses, in a 34-14 victory over Camden County.
- Peachtree Ridge LB Dru Moody had an interception, broke up a pass and had a tackle for a 5-yard loss in the fourth quarter that ruined Walton’s last threat in a 23-17 victory.
- Tucker RB/DB Dominick Sanders scored three touchdowns, one on a 56-yard punt return, in a 51-12 victory over Cedar Grove.
- Walker sophomore DT Ben Snavely had eight tackles and 2.5 sacks in a 21-0 victory over Temple.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.