Do you believe in unlikelihoods? Coincidences?
It has become a well-covered Super Bowl prognosticator: how Nick Saban does in title games affects the fortunes of his mentor, Bill Belichick.
Saban was the defensive coordinator to Belichick’s Cleveland Browns teams from 1991-94.
Since Saban’s arrival in Tuscaloosa in 2007, whenever the Crimson Tide have played in a semifinal or national championship game AND LOST, the New England Patriots have won the Super Bowl a few weeks later.
As you may recall, Alabama was trounced by Clemson in the College Football Playoffs Championship Game earlier this month.
The Patriots face the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl 53 Feb. 3 at Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
This is how things have played out:
• Alabama: Wins BCS National Championship game, 37-21, vs. Texas Longhorns
• New England: Loses Wild Card game, 33-14, to the Baltimore Ravens
• Alabama: Wins BCS National Championship game, 21-0, vs. LSU Tigers
• New England: Loses Super Bowl, 21-17, to the N.Y. Giants
• Alabama: Wins BCS National Championship game, 42-14, vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
• New England: Loses the AFC championship game, 28-13, to the Ravens
• Alabama: Loses the College Football Playoff semifinal (Sugar Bowl), 42-35, to Ohio State Bukeyes
• New England: Wins the Super Bowl, 28-24, vs. the Seattle Seahawks
• Alabama: Wins the College Football Playoff National Championship game, 45-40, vs. Clemson
• New England: Loses AFC championship game, 20-18, to the Denver Broncos
• Alabama: Loses the College Football Playoff National Championship game, 35-31, to Clemson
• New England: Wins Super Bowl, 34-28, vs. the Atlanta Falcons
• Alabama: Wins College Football Playoff National Championship game, 26-23 (OT), vs. Georgia Bulldogs
• New England: Loses Super Bowl, 41-33, to the Philadelphia Eagles
• Alabama: Loses College Football Playoff National Championship game, 44-16, to Clemson
• New England: ???
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.