The Georgia Bulldogs landed themselves a slot receiver and a pretty decent quarterback in one fell swoop Sunday.
Ladd McConkey of Chatsworth played quarterback and defensive back at North Murray High School but will play wideout for the Bulldogs. He became Georgia’s 23rd commitment — and fifth receiver — of the 2020 recruiting class on Sunday. McConkey announced his pledge to UGA on Twitter after taking his official visit to Athens during the weekend. He’ll be able to sign a national letter of intent on National Signing Day, which is Wednesday.
The Bulldogs didn’t have to beat out a bunch of national heavyweights to land McConkey’s services. The 6-foot, 175-pound athlete is a 3-star prospect that 247Sports.com ranks as the nation’s 197th wide receiver and 1,379th prospect overall. But new UGA offensive coordinator Todd Monken reportedly was impressed with McConkey’s speed and versatility on the football field. He has run a 10.85 100 meters in track and has recorded sub-4.5-second 40-yard times in various football camps.
Playing quarterback, defensive back and kick returner for Murray County this past fall, McConkey accounted for 3,051 all-purpose yards. He passed for 1,771 yards and 20 touchdowns, rushed for 924 yards and 10 scores, returned three kickoffs and four punts for 256 yards and 3 TDs and had four interceptions on defense, three of which he returned for scores.
At Georgia, McConkey is expected to compete for playing time at the slot-receiver position as well as returning punts and kickoffs.
2020 UGA FOOTBALL RECRUITS
List does not include transfers: QB Jamie Newman (Wake Forest), TE Tre' McKitty (FSU), QB Austin Kirksey (Nevada).
- Kendall Milton, RB, 6-1, 215, Clovis, Calif. *
- Jalen Kimber, CB, 6-0, 170, Arlington, Texas *
- Major Burns, S, 6-2, 176, Baton Rouge, La. *
- Carson Beck, QB, 6-5, 226, Jacksonville, Fla. *
- Justin Robinson, WR, 6-4, 200, McDonough *
- Warren Brinson, DT, 6-5, 290, Bradenton, Fla. *
- Kelee Ringo, CB, 6-2, 205, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Jalen Carter, DT, 6-3, 301, Apopka, Fla.
- Darnell Washington, TE, 6-8, 261, Desert Pines, Nev.
- Mekhail Sherman, LB, 6-3, 234, Washington, D.C.
- Tate Ratledge, OT, 6-6, 322, Rome
- Marcus Rosemy, WR, 6-2, 195, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Arian Smith, WR, 6-1, 170, Lakeland, Fla.
- Jermaine Burton, WR, 6-1, 190, Calabassas, Calif.
- Chad Lindberg, OT, 6-7, 327, League City, Texas
- Nazir Stackhouse, DT, 6-4, 306, Decatur
- Austin Blaske, OT, 6-5, 278, Guyton
- Devin Willock, OT, 6-6, 345, Paramus, N.J.
- Jared Zirkel, PK, 6-3, 185, Kerrville, Texas
- Broderick Jones, OT, 6-5, 285, Lithonia
- Sedrick Van Pran, C, 6-4, 305, New Orleans
- Daijun Edwards, RB, 5-10, 201, Moultrie
- Ladd McConkey, WR, 6-0, 175, Chatsworth
* — Already enrolled
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.