ATHENS — It was a cold day for spring practice, which didn’t scare away a former Georgia quarterback, the younger brother of the current quarterback, a former NFL quarterback and a former NFL head coach.
Aaron Murray was among the big names watching from the sideline as UGA conducted its fourth practice of the spring Tuesday. Murray, who lives in Atlanta, has embarked on a broadcasting career.
Tyler Fromm also was watching as his older brother Jake Fromm went through drills. Fromm is a junior tight end at Warner Robins High School and is being recruited by some big programs. It wasn’t clear if Tyler Fromm was there on a visit, but for what it’s worth, he was wearing an official name tag.
Brad Johnson was also at Tuesday’s practice, watching with his son Max Johnson, who is a high school prospect as a quarterback. Brad Johnson, who was the quarterback on Tampa Bay’s Super Bowl champion team earlier this century, is also the brother-in-law of former Georgia head coach Mark Richt.
Jason Taylor, the former NFL defensive end, was watching in a Georgia sweatshirt. Taylor was with the Miami Dolphins during Kirby Smart’s one year as an assistant there.
Finally, Bruce Arians was also taking things in. The recently retired head coach of the Arizona Cardinals owns a home near Lake Oconee.
As for some actual practice observations:
- Kirby Smart was working a half-dozen players at the star (nickel-back) during a drill. They included cornerbacks Tyrique McGhee and Mark Webb, safety William Poole, inside linebackers Tae Crowder and Jaden Hunter and outside linebackers Walter Grant and Keyon Brown.
- Freshman cornerback Divaad Wilson, who announced in a (since-deleted) tweet on Saturday night that he had torn his ACL, was indeed not practicing.
- All of the freshman early enrollee jersey numbers are set: OLB Brenton Cox (1), QB Justin Fields (1), TB Zamir White (3), WR Kearis Jackson (10), CB Divaad Wilson (16), C Warren Ericson (50), G Trey Hill (55), T Cade Mays (77).
- White, working back from his knee surgery, was working on the side with strength and conditioning coordinator Scott Sinclair.
- Riley Ridley is working with the first group of wide receivers, which is no surprise, alongside Terry Godwin and slot Mecole Hardman. Behind Ridley, in order during a drill, was Tyler Simmons followed by Jayson Stanley and J.J. Holloman. Behind Godwin was Matt Landers, Michael Chigbu and Trey Blount.
- Ahkil Crumpton has switched to jersey No. 25 after wearing No. 16 last season. Perhaps he was tired of the Isaiah McKenzie comparisons. Walk-on quarterback John Seter is now wearing No. 16 on offense. Get complete UGA coverage at Dawgnation.com
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.