NFL suspends Myles Garrett, 2 others after helmet swing, brawl
The NFL on Friday suspended defensive end Myles Garrett and two other players without pay for their role in a brawl in the final seconds of last night’s nationally televised “Thursday Night Football” game between the Browns and the Steelers.
Garrett has been suspended indefinitely, with a minimum of at least this regular season and playoffs, according to multiple league sources. He was also given an additional fine, but the league did not disclose the amount.
Browns’ DE Myles Garrett suspended indefinitely, with a minimum of at least this regular season and playoffs.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 15, 2019
Also suspended without pay, but to a lesser degree, were Browns defensive lineman Larry Ogunjobi, who must sit out one game, and Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey, who will sit out three games.
Both teams were also fined $250,000.
The three players were ejected in the waning seconds of the game.
After the suspension was announced, Garrett himself released a statement, apologizing for his actions.
Statement from Myles Garrett: pic.twitter.com/txVA970CmW
— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) November 15, 2019
Cleveland was leading the division rival Steelers 21-7 on its home field at FirstEnergy Stadium. After Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph had completed a pass from his own goal line to running back Trey Edmunds, Browns defensive end Garrett leveled Rudolph, ripped off the defenseless quarterback’s helmet and then struck him in the head with it.
Within seconds, the dead play devolved into an all-out brawl involving players from both teams, according to ESPN.
During the melee, Ogunjobi pushed Rudolph to the ground from behind after Rudolph had been hit by Garrett; Pouncey jumped into Garrett and kicked him as Steelers teammate David DeCastro pinned Garrett to the ground.
»RELATED: Skepticism swirls around Colin Kaepernick's Atlanta workout
Reaction to the violent incident was swift from the Steelers, Browns and others around the league.
Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield said Garrett would likely "get suspended," according to the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. Browns coach Freddie Kitchens called his player's actions "embarrassing" and "tough to watch," according to ESPN.
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin had no comment after the game.
“I’ll keep my thoughts to myself, you saw what happened at the end.”
— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) November 15, 2019
Mike Tomlin when asked about the fight in his post-game press conference
(via @CBSSportsHQ)pic.twitter.com/5Av0OzNy1l
»MORE: Falcons will scout Colin Kaepernick at NFL workout in Flowery Branch
A statement from the NFL says Garrett must meet with commissioner Roger Goodell's office before he can be reinstated. The league announced that additional fines and suspensions would be forthcoming for players who left the bench to participate in the brawl.
All players involved in the heinous incident are going to be under review by the NFL for possible suspensions, source said. https://t.co/IgFZ5ynnqN
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) November 15, 2019
Garrett was apologetic after the game, telling ESPN, "What I did was foolish, and I shouldn't allow myself to slip like that. That's out of character, but a situation like that where it's an emotional game, and I allowed myself to fall into those emotions with what happened."
Reaction was swift on social media:
Myles Garrett should not be allowed to play another snap this season
— Kyle Juszczyk (@JuiceCheck44) November 15, 2019
@MylesLGarrett praying for u my brother. It was a quick reaction but it was the wrong reaction. Apologize,accept the Fine & Suspension then move on with your life and learn the lesson this moment will teach you. You have a big future ahead of u. God bless u. #Truth @nflnetwork
— Deion Sanders (@DeionSanders) November 15, 2019
Me watching Myles Garrett attack Mason Rudolph last night #Brownspic.twitter.com/OheO6TM8OP
— CleWest (@erjmanlasvegas) November 15, 2019
The number of people defending Myles Garrett is insane. Many of you lack functional brains. Self defense has to be proportional. He was under zero threat, objectively, from Mason Rudolph. Stop being dumb.
— Clay Travis (@ClayTravis) November 15, 2019
Myles Garrett should not play football for the rest of this season, and probably longer. An act not seen in decades requires discipline not seen in decades, particularly in these times, when the NFL is trying to clean up the game.
— Peter King (@peter_king) November 15, 2019
A statement released at 11:59 a.m. Friday from Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam on Twitter read:
“We are extremely disappointed in what transpired last evening at the end of our game. There is no place for that in football and that is not reflective of the core values we strive for as an organization. We sincerely apologize to Mason Rudolph and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Myles Garrett has been a good teammate and member of our organization and community for the last three years but his actions last night were completely unacceptable. We understand the consequences from the league for his actions."

