A Sunday morning routine of eating tacos with her family at a restaurant in San Antonio, Texas, took a stomach-churning turn when a woman made a seriously distasteful discovery in her food.
Melissa Mermea said she was shocked and revolted halfway through eating her taco.
“I look down and I see some hairs sticking out of my taco. As I open it up, I pull the hair, and wrapped around the hair was a press-on nail,” Mermea told WOAI-TV. And she said that really wasn’t the worst of it.
She said when she told the manager of Mama Margie’s what she had found, he insisted the nail did not come from one of his restaurant workers, WOAI reported.
"The manager told me that that press-on nail did not come from his establishment. He was 100 percent sure," Mermea said. "I was insulted. I was embarrassed. And I was upset," she told the news station.
She posted a photo of the nail in her food on social media and said she didn’t expect anything when she reported the incident to restaurant management, but she said she also didn’t expect the manager to blame her.
"I will not eat here again," Mermea said. "I don't want no nails in my tacos. I want my food to be good," she told WOAI.
The restaurant, which scored higher than 90 on four 2018 inspections, did eventually apologize to her, but Mermea said it was too little, too late.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.