Here's a roundup of news trending across the nation and world today.
What to know now:
1. Hurricane Patricia: A massive hurricane that has grown into a "potentially catastrophic" Category 5 storm is due to make landfall in Mexico Friday evening. Hurricane Patricia, with winds of 160 mph and a central pressure of 892 millibars, is now the strongest Pacific storm on record. Patricia is nearing the southwestern coast of Mexico, with forecasters warning residents to evacuate. In addition to the winds, the National Hurricane Center says Patricia could drop some 20 inches of rain. As the storm moves east, Texas could be in store for heavy rains.
2. College shooting: One person is dead and three others wounded following a shooting at Tennessee State University late Thursday. Police say the shooting stemmed from a dispute over a dice game. Police blocked the entrances to the campus overnight and was not allowing anyone who was not a student in.
3. Hillary testimony: Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton answered questions from a House select committee for 11 hours Thursday on what she did before during and after the Sept. 11, 2012 raid on the American diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya. At times the questioning became pointed, and, during one exchange, a shouting match broke out.
4. One dead in rescue: An American was killed in a raid on an ISIS prison Thursday as 70 hostages facing "imminent mass execution" were rescued. According to the Pentagon, the decision to launch the raid came after surveillance showed graves being dug. It's believed the hostages were going to be executed after morning prayers.
5. Ryan's in: Paul Ryan says his conditions have been met and he wants to be the next speaker of the House of Representatives. Ryan picked up the support of the conservative House Freedom Caucus making it likely that he will received the needed number of votes to win the speakership.
And one more
Health care premiums are set to increase on Nov. 1 in many markets as a new Affordable Care Act sign up season begins, but, as the Associated Press reports, there are some options and some new tools that can help insurance shoppers find coverage. Read about them here.
In case you missed it
The singer Adele announced Thursday that her next album, called "25," will be released on Nov. 20. The first single from the album will be released Friday. It's called "Hello." People are flipping out because at the beginning of her video, she uses a flip phone. Check it out below, or click here if you're on mobile.