Update 3:20 p.m. EDT July 12: The teen who said his Make America Great Again hat was taken at a Texas Whataburger now has a new baseball hat, but this one has been signed by the president himself, WOAI reported.
Hunter Richard recently received the hat in the mail. It had been promised by President Donald Trump’s son, Donald Trump Jr. via Twitter after Richard’s story went viral.
Police returned the original hat that had been taken, WOAI reported.
Update 6:46 a.m. EDT July 6: Police have arrested a man they said was caught on video throwing a drink in the face of a teen who was wearing a Make America Great Again hat at a Texas restaurant.
Kino Jimenez, 30, was arrested by Universal City Police Department, KSAT reported.
San Antonio Police Department officials said Jimenez will be charged with theft of a person, which is a state felony, KSAT reported.
Meanwhile, the story has caught the attention of President Donald Trump’s son.
Donald Trump Jr. tweeted Thursday that he will get Hunter Richard a new hat, signed by the president, KSAT reported.
The younger Trump also posted that the attack was “disgusting and a disgrace.”
Original story: A teenager said he was assaulted for wearing his Make America Great Again hat, and some of the alleged incident was caught on video.
The video shows Hunter Richard, 16, having a drink thrown in his face by an unidentified man after Richard said the man ripped the hat from his head, WOAI reported.
According to the San Antonio Express-News, Richard, who was visiting from Orlando, was having a meal at a Whataburger in San Antonio Tuesday when the man allegedly assaulted the teen before leaving the restaurant with Richard’s hat.
The teen says he wishes the man would have just talked to him instead of yelling profanities at him.
“I support my president and if you don’t let’s have a conversation about it instead of ripping my hat off. I just think a conversation about politics is more productive for the entire whole rather than taking my hat and yelling subjective words to me,” Richard told WOAI.
Richard told the San Antonio Express-News that he wanted to have a conversation with the person who assaulted him.
“He has a right to his opinion,” Richard said. “I’m down for other opinions and I’m open to conversations. Let’s talk through this and come to some sort of agreement or neutral ground.”
Richard posted the video to social media, but has since removed it after getting more than a million views.
A report about the alleged incident has been filed with police, WOAI reported.
Whataburger officials have responded to the alleged attack and have issued the following statement:
“We were shocked to see this video and certainly don’t condone this type of customer behavior in our restaurants. To be clear, no Whataburger employees were involved or witnessed the incident, and we ask that questions be directed to San Antonio PD as we continue supporting their efforts.”
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.