Refrigerator explodes inside Florida family’s home

caption arrowCaption
Refrigerator Explodes Inside Family's Home In Florida

A family says their Whirlpool refrigerator exploded inside their home Saturday morning, damaging several rooms.

>> Read more trending news

"The fridge exploded, and if you look at this angle right here, it expanded and expanded so much it bent the metal of the stove," Mark Ligondie, who was sleeping when the noise startled him awake, told WPTV. "There were fumes coming everywhere."

The ceiling and walls of nearby rooms are cracked, and the 4-year-old appliance was shattered into pieces and scattered throughout the kitchen.

Emergency crews responded to clear the home.

Whirlpool issued a statement in response to the incident.

"Whirlpool is committed to providing safe products for consumers," the company told WPTV. "We are working quickly to look into this incident."

About the Author

Editors' Picks