JCPenney announced in February it planned to close at least 27 stores — 18 full-time department stores and nine home and furniture shops.
Although it hasn’t said which stores will be affected, Business Insider has compiled a list of 16 stores that have announced they are closing. Most will shutter by July 5.
Here are the 16 affected so far, including one in Georgia:
- Pines Mall, 2901 Pines Mall Dr., Pine Bluff, Arkansas
- NewPark Mall, 500 Newpark Mall, Newark, California
- Ponce De Leon Mall, 2121 US Hwy 1 S., St. Augustine, Florida
- Glynn Place Mall, One Mall Blvd., Brunswick, Georgia
- Lakeforest Mall, 701 Russell Ave., Gaithersburg, Maryland
- The Orchards Mall, 1800 Pipestone Rd., Benton Harbor, Michigan
- 1215 S. Main St., Sikeston, Missouri
- 3402 S. Glenstone Ave., Springfield, Missouri (home and furniture store)
- 6933 S. Lindbergh Blvd., St. Louis, Missouri (home and furniture store)
- Hamilton Mall, 4405 E. Black Horse Pike, Mays Landing, New Jersey
- Smith Haven Plaza, 9 Smith Haven Mall, Lake Grove, New York
- Cary Towne Center, 1105 Walnut St., Cary, North Carolina (closing May 3)
- Riverbirch Center Mall, 1041 Spring Lane, Sanford, North Carolina
- Greenwood Mall, 320 Bypass 72 Northwest, Greenwood, South Carolina
- Midway Mall, 4500 Midway Mall, Elyria, Ohio
- Northgate Mall, 401 NE. Northgate Way, Seattle, Washington
The closures were previously reported by the Dayton Daily News.
JCPenney has had trouble for past few years, including 138 closed stores (five in south Georgia) in 2017.
Net sales for the company’s fourth quarter in 2018 dropped 9.5 percent. It had a net loss of $255 million.
JCPenney said the stores to be closed require large amounts of money and don’t yield as much profit as other stores. The company may also be able to make money by selling the store’s real estate.
JCPenney said affected employees will receive assistance in finding a new job and help with outplacement services.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.
With the largest team in the state, the AJC reports what’s really going on with your tax dollars and your elected officials. Subscribe today. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.
Your subscription to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.