Insecticide fumes cause house to explode, cockroaches survive

ExploreMore popular and trending stories

A family of three is displaced and their apartment badly damaged after a buildup of chemical fumes caused an explosion late Wednesday evening in New Jersey, according to multiple reports.

Explore>> Read more trending stories

Authorities believe the family was trying to deal with their apartment's cockroach problem, but it appeared their efforts were unsuccessful.

"When I got on scene, I saw numerous roaches crawling throughout the apartment," Asbury Park fire spokesman Garrett Giberson Jr. told Asbury Park News.

Firefighters found the windows of the apartment badly damaged after a fire alarm went off in the home around 10 p.m. Wednesday, the Asbury Park Sun reported.

A preliminary investigation found tenants were spraying insecticide too near a stove when the explosion occurred, Asbury Park Fire Chief Kevin Keddy told the news website. A resident started to get a headache and opened a window. The combination of oxygen, fumes and the lit pilot light of the stove appeared to have caused the blast.

The apartment's residents, two adults and a toddler, were transported to Jersey Shore University Medical Center as a precaution. The American Red Cross is providing temporary shelter for the trio, according to Asbury Park News.