The coins have the following five designs, each paying tribute to a different decade:
- The '70s MacCoin's theme is flower power.
- The '80s MacCoin pays tribute to pop art.
- The '90s MacCoin has bold, abstract shapes.
- The '00s MacCoin focuses on technology.
- The '10s MacCoin honors "the evolution of communication."
According to WPXI, the iconic burger was created in the Pittsburgh area by franchisee Jim Delligatti.
“When my great-grandfather Jim Delligatti invented the Big Mac at his grill in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, he just wanted to make his local customers happy,” said Nick Delligatti, fourth-generation McDonald’s owner-operator and great-grandson of Delligatti. “August 2 would have been my great-grandfather’s 100th birthday, and I believe he would be very proud knowing his humble sandwich has made such a lasting impression that people all around the world can enjoy it wherever they find a McDonald’s.”