She was one of the most recognizable faces on the internet. Grumpy Cat, with her permanent frown, brought smiles and snark on the darkest days.
Grumpy Cat died Tuesday after developing a urinary tract infection at the age of 7.
Here are five things to know about the internet’s grumpiest cat, according to her owners:
1. Grumpy Cat’s original name was Tardar Sauce.
2. She was born on April 4, 2012.
3. Grumpy Cat had a condition called feline dwarfism. She was not a munchkin cat and not bred to be small. Both of her parents are normal sized.
4. Reddit was the start of her success. The post on Sept. 22, 2012 had many thinking that the image had been photoshopped, but videos posted to YouTube proved doubters wrong.
5. Despite her looks, her family says she was not really grumpy. She loved to be held and cuddled.
6. Grumpy Cat has more than 900 items for sale, The New York Times reported.
7. She’s appeared in advertising campaigns for “Honey Nut Cheerios” and was the official “spokescat” for Friskies, according to the Times.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.