Fisherman pricked by fish hook almost loses arm to flesh-eating bacteria

>> Read more trending news 

Ozona native Mike Walton nearly lost his arm to the dangerous bacterial infection, called necrotizing fasciitis.

Walton told WFTS-TV that he was about 20 miles offshore in Palm Harbor when the fish hook caused just a small nick on his finger, something that has happened to him hundreds of times. 

By Sunday, though, the construction worker noticed black bubbles growing on his hand.  

"I had like little blisters starting to form on my hand, and you could watch, like, sweat beads coming up on the side of the hand, and then they just turned black," Walton said.

He was rushed to Tampa General Hospital where doctors considered amputating his arm, WFTS reported.

>> Trending: Band director facing the music after school instruments turn up in pawn shop

"They sliced all the way down my arm to relieve the pressure, and then I got a skin graft going from my elbow to the palm of my hand," he said.

Doctors were able to save Walton’s hand and arm, but it was a close call.

"When you look down and you can see your own tendons, back of your hand and your bone going up your arm," Walton said, "that makes it real."

>> Trending: Mother blames allegedly high doctor in death of 10-year-old son, reports say

Walton was scheduled for release from the hospital Wednesday and will be on an antibiotics regimen for the next month.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X