A silicon Valley executive died Sunday when he jumped into a pool to save his daughter.
James Tramel, 43 was with his family at a home in Palm Springs, California, and noticed his 9-year-old daughter was getting shocked and sank to the bottom of the pool.
Palm Springs police Sgt. William Hutchinson told The Los Angeles Times that Tramel saw his daughter was not moving and turning blue, so he jumped into the pool.
When Tramel got in the pool, he was electrocuted, dying later that day at a nearby hospital.
Police said Tramel's daughter is still in critical condition.
KNTV reported that a 6-year-old boy, an 8-year-old girl and a 45-year-old woman were also treated for related injuries Sunday and were later released.
Authorities said a faulty light fixture that electrified the pool may be to blame.
Hutchinson said the fixture was missing screws and may have had a power surge.
Mitchell Weisman, the CEO of the company for which Tramel worked, set up a GoFundMe page for Tramel's wife, Kim, "as a stipend, for use by Kim as she chooses for the welfare and education of her children, and/or as one or more donation(s) to some deserving nonprofit(s) of her choice."
Over $153,829 has been donated in two days.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.