An upcoming auction to benefit the Carter Center includes presidential memorabilia such as a lock of President John F. Kennedy’s hair and original paintings by President Jimmy Carter.
The items aren’t all presidency-related, though. The June 30 auction also includes experiences such as a one-week stay at a home in Saint-Remy-de-Provence, France, or a winery tour at George Lucas’ private Skywalker Vineyard.
The auction will take place during a five-day retreat at the Skamania Lodge in Washington. It will be attended by Carter, his wife, Rosalynn, and invited guests.
Proceeds will support the not-for-profit Center’s work to advance peace and health globally. Carter Center Weekend auctions have raised more than $24 million since the annual event’s inception, according to a press release.
The public can take part in the auction by bidding online or by fax. Live and silent auction catalogs of the items and bidding instructions can be found here.
Other items include:
• A gold, diamond and ruby jewelry set, including ring, earrings, necklace and bracelet
• Three autographed guitars signed by musical artists Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Gregg Allman of The Allman Brothers Band and Chris Stapleton
• An “authentic and well-used” pair of President Carter’s running shoes, signed and framed
• A vacation to Hawaii with airfare provided by Delta Air Lines
• An original quill signature of President Abraham Lincoln with family lithograph
• An original Ralph Steadman silkscreen of famed journalist Hunter S. Thompson
• A private concert with Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary; he will fly to you
• Hand-crafted quilts by artist Suzanne McMahon
• A unique set of three autographed baseballs from Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds
• A private cocktail reception and movie screening with former Paramount Pictures CEO Sherry Lansing at her house, with air transportation provided by Delta Air Lines
• Classic handmade chairs by talented woodworker Russ Filbeck
• A gold and opal brooch handcrafted by designer and goldsmith Ben Dye
• Limited vintage honey cultivated from beehives at The Carter Center, paired with a Carter-signed bottle of 1998 red wine from Carter Farms
• A handmade wooden bowl by wood artisan Matt Moulthrop
>>Related podcast: Sunday school and Plains with Jimmy Carter:
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.