Q: How can I donate furniture specifically for the flood victims? — Tammy Hails, Chamblee

Call 770-833-7236 or e-mail gafaithinaction @aol.com.

West Ridge Church in Dallas is accepting donations of furniture and other household items; call 770-222-2125 ext. 308 or e-mail brittneyf@westridge.com.

For up-to-date information on ways to support flood victims or to find help, call the United Way by dialing 2-1-1 or calling 404-614-1000.

The Furniture Bank of Metro Atlanta also accepts household furniture in good condition.

Call 404-355-8530 ext. 222 or e-mail ddicaprio@furniturebankatlanta.org to arrange a drop off of furniture or a free pickup.

Q: Why wasn’t the National Guard called out to patrol streets to avoid looting of homes (after last week’s flooding)?

—Pam Allred, Canton

A: The National Guard was not called out because they typically do not get involved on emergency response efforts on this level, said Dena Brummer, spokeswoman for the Georgia Emergency Management Agency.

Local authorities and law enforcement agencies handle such incidents.

Lori Johnston wrote this column. Do you have a question about the news? We’ll try to get the answer. Call 404-222-2002 or e-mail q&a@ajc.com (include name, phone and city).

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.