Hotel laundry room catches fire in Gwinnett

A Norcross hotel was evacuated Thursday night after a fire started in the basement laundry room, Gwinnett County fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.

The sprinkler system extinguished the blaze in the eight-story Holiday Inn Select on Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, Rutledge said. A basket of oil rags placed too close to a dryer is believed to have started the blaze, Rutledge said.

No one was injured and the building did not sustain any structural damage, Rutledge said.

Crews responded to the 9:20 p.m. call and found a moderate amount of smoke in the basement, Rutledge said. Firefighters searched each floor of the hotel, finding light smoke haze on the sixth floor.

After the smoke was cleared, the staff and hotel guests were allowed back inside, Rutledge said.