Federal education officials on Tuesday named 12 Georgia schools — including seven in metro Atlanta — as 2009 National Blue Ribbon Schools.
The government program honors public and private elementary, middle and high schools that show impressive academic growth and achievement. This year, the U.S. Department of Education recognized 314 schools nationwide.
Among those locally earning the honor:
● Private schools including Holy Spirit Preparatory School in Atlanta. Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic School in DeKalb County and Holy Redeemer Catholic School in Johns Creek.
● Carter G. Woodson Elementary in the Atlanta city system.
● The DeKalb School of the Arts in DeKalb County.
● Hightower Trail Middle School in Cobb County.
● Honey Creek Elementary School in Rockdale County.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.