U.S. Hank Johnson, the Democrat from Lithonia, is hosting an event to rail against the incoming Trump administration and the GOP’s Congressional agenda.
Johnson will be joined Sunday by DeKalb CEO Mike Thurmond, state Sen. Vincent Fort (D-Atlanta), Georgia NAACP President Francys Johnson, according to a news release.
Johnson is co-hosting the event from 2 to 4 p.m. with Clarkston Mayor Ted Terry at the Clarkston Community Center.
They’re calling it the “Fourth District Day of Resistance,” a reference to Johnson’s district, which also includes parts of Gwinnett County.
“Joined by faith leaders, environmentalists, seniors, students and immigration reform supporters among others, Johnson and Terry will gather to support Bernie Sanders’ nationwide call to oppose the Republican budget,” Johnson’s news release said.
He derides the budget for “throwing 30 million people off of health care” by taking aim at the Affordable Care Act.
The community center is at 3701 College Ave.
For the interested, the full guest list is:
- Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04)
- Clarkston Mayor Ted Terry
- State Sen. Vincent Fort (keynote speaker and Atlanta mayoral candidate)
- Georgia Political Director for the Bernie Sanders’ campaign Daniel Blackman
- Planned Parenthood’s Staci Cox
- Georgians for a Healthy Future Laura Colbert
- State Rep. Karla Drenner
- GALEO Executive Director Jerry Gonzalez
- Georgia NAACP President Francys Johnson
- President Atlanta North Labor Union Dewey McClain
- 6th District Congressional Candidate Jon Ossoff
- Nationally Syndicated Radio Personality Rashad Richey of V-103 & WAOK
- DeKalb CEO Mike Thurmond
- President of the Georgia Federation of Teachers Verdallia Turner
- Imam SH Salam Wazir
- Members of the AARP, ACLU, GALEO, NAACP, Sierra Club and more
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.