A Grand Opening and Light Show for the Acworth Pedestrian Bridge will be held at 8 p.m. today.
With access by stairs or elevator, the bridge will connect Park Side and the city’s downtown/Lake Side.
Acworth Mayor Tommy Allegood, the Board of Aldermen and the Downtown Development Authority will participate in the ceremony.
The event will be held at the intersection of Main Street and Lemon Street.
Over the past 15 years, the city of Acworth has been revitalizing the downtown area to make it walkable and economically thriving.
The city has made improvements to Main Street, Cherokee Street, Dallas Street, Academy Street, Carnes Street, Senator Russell Avenue, Southside, School Street and Taylor Street.
Also, the city has built five new public parking lots in the downtown; and all of the railroad crossings have been converted into silent crossings.
In 2016, the city opened the expanded Logan Farm Park on Cherokee Street with walking trails, open green space, a picnic shelter and a huge playground.
Since September 2017, the city has continued with the next phase of the downtown redevelopment with:
- the realignment of Lemon Street,
- a new left-turn lane on Main Street at Lemon,
- this pedestrian overpass over the railroad tracks,
- construction of a new public parking lot,
- conversion of the small public parking lot at Main and Lemon into a park with a replica train depot/history center,
- renovation of a historic house into an Arts Center and
- construction of the new Community Center that opened in April.
Information: 770-974-3112, acworth.org
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.