Cobb, Marietta investigating ‘unexplained’ jail death

File Photo: The Cobb County Adult Detention Center.

File Photo: The Cobb County Adult Detention Center.

Jessie Myles was picked up by Marietta Police on Feb. 23, 2019 for drug possession and an outstanding warrant and taken to the Cobb County jail.

Three days later, the 31-year-old was dead.

The cause of his death remains undetermined and the Sheriff’s Office remains tight-lipped, citing an ongoing investigation. Attempts to reach Myles’ family were unsuccessful.

“Upon displaying signs of physical distress, Mr. Myles was immediately provided medical assistance,” wrote Cobb Sheriff spokesman Glenn Daniel.

In a statement, the Marietta Police Department called the death “tragic” and “unexplained.”

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the deceased,” it read. “We understand anyone in this situation would have questions and we will be happy to provide the (body-, dash-cam and in-car) videos once the investigation is complete.”

According to the police report, Myles was a passenger in a car that was pulled over by an officer who suspected the driver was under the influence.

The driver was not found to be impaired and was issued a citation for failing to maintain lane and released.

“During the stop it was discovered the passenger had an outstanding warrant for probation violation referencing drugs and weapons,” the police statement said. “During the arrest and transport it was discovered Myles also had THC and cocaine in his possession.”

Marietta officers turned Myles over to the Sheriff’s Office, which runs the jail.

“Multiple days later,” Marietta police were notified by the Sheriff’s Office that Myles had “an as-yet unexplained medical event, was transported to Kennestone Hospital, admitted and later died at the hospital.”

The statement said a criminal investigation has been opened and both agencies are working to determine what caused Myles’ death.

According to Myles’ booking report, he was “released” as deceased on Feb. 25.

The results of an autopsy started by the Cobb Medical Examiner on Feb. 26 are pending.

Myles’ death follows that of Reginald Wilson, who was also in custody at the jail, in December. Wilson, whose family said he struggled with schizophrenia, was arrested for a probation violation outside Wellstar Cobb Hospital, from which he had recently been discharged.

The results of his autopsy are also pending.