Man accused of deadly hit-and-run in Gwinnett denied bond

A Gwinnett County judge denied bond for a man accused of a fatal hit-and-run and called him a “danger to the community” Wednesday.

Damien Arroyo Burgos, 44, is accused of hitting 61-year-old Darwin Dixon on Peachtree Industrial Boulevard on Feb. 4 and driving away, leaving him to die, AJC.com previously reported.

MORE: Man charged in Gwinnett hit-and-run, 61-year-old man killed

Burgos’ attorney, Kalpin Shah, told Channel 2 Action News his client thought he hit a deer instead of a person, which is why he shouldn’t be charged with vehicular homicide, hit-and-run, driving without a license and other traffic citations.

However, Duluth police Officer William Alexander testified in court, saying surveillance video tells a different story.

“In the video, you see the victim go in a defensive position ... he knew he was going to get hit,” Alexander said. “The defendant slowed down after the contact ... saw brake lights.”

Dixon was hit around 9:50 p.m. as he was attempting to cross the street. Burgos was arrested the next day.

“We intend on litigating this matter,” Shah said. “We intend on showing he did not know he hit a person.”

Dixon’s son told Channel 2 his father had been in Georgia for only a short time, and he said Dixon would still be alive if Burgos was a law-abiding citizen.

Burgos has remained in the Gwinnett County Detention Center since his arrest. He also has a hold placed on him by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, jail records show.

In other news: