Caption

Gwinnett police find gunman dead after SWAT standoff

A man who barricaded himself inside a Gwinnett County home Monday was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after an hours-long SWAT standoff, police said. 

Authorities were at the Laurel View Drive home in unincorporated Snellville to serve James Burley Jr., 33, an arrest warrant, but he refused to come out, Gwinnett police Cpl. Michele Pihera said.

The neighborhood was blocked off as SWAT officers negotiated with Burley.

Pihera said they had hoped for “a peaceful resolution,” but SWAT members found Burley dead from a gunshot wound just after 6 p.m. 

Police had been at the home since 9 a.m. 

RELATED: Teen in custody after hours-long standoff in DeKalb

It was the second SWAT situation of the day in metro Atlanta.

A team had a DeKalb County home surrounded for nearly four hours after a gunman barricaded himself inside. Just before 12:30 p.m., footage showed the teen being led away from a home in the 3900 block of Appleton Court in handcuffs.

VIEW: Map of crime in metro Atlanta

NEW: Join the discussion at the AJC's Crime & Safety Facebook group

Know what’s really going on with crime and public safety in your metro Atlanta community, including breaking news, trial coverage, trends and the latest on unsolved cases. Sign up for the AJC’s crime and safety newsletter delivered weekly to your inbox.

In other news:

\

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Woman left brain damaged after cosmetic surgery
  2. 2 Georgia Primary 2018: Voters decide on governor, Congress, state races
  3. 3 Wounded vet turned away from Six Flags ride, park cites safety

More from AJC