Timothy Wyatt was shot and killed Easter Sunday after he led Tampa police on a chase and fired at officers, authorities said. Hours earlier, police say Wyatt killed a mother and shot her two sons in South Fulton.
Photo: Channel 2 Action News
Photo: Channel 2 Action News

On parole, alleged gunman killed girlfriend, shot her sons on Easter Sunday

After killing his 34-year-old girlfriend and shooting her two sons early Easter Sunday in the new city of South Fulton, Timothy Wyatt drove to Florida, where he was shot and killed following a gun battle with authorities in Tampa, police said. 

Tawanna Collins’ body was discovered about 7:30 a.m. in the 3500 block of Keels Lane, according to authorities. South Fulton police said two other people, including the victim’s sons, were shot. The sons, ages 12 and 14, remain in Grady Memorial Hospital, Channel 2 Action News reported. Details on their conditions, their identities and what led to the triple shooting have not been released. 

Wyatt lived with Collins and her sons, Channel 2 reported. Collins, who is originally from College Park, recently moved to the neighborhood. Before the killing, Wyatt served an 8-year prison sentence for assault charges in Clayton County, according to the Georgia Department of Corrections.

In 2009, Wyatt began a 15-year sentence for aggravated assault, aggravated assault with a peace officer, and possession of a firearm charges, according to the DoC. He was given parole in May 2017. Details on the arrest was not immediately available. 

Authorities have not indicated why Wyatt fled to Tampa. 

Police there said Wyatt led authorities on a chase in his 2017 white Chevrolet Impala at the intersection of East Hillsborough Avenue and North Nebraska Avenue and fired shots at a police officer. 

As a helicopter trailed Wyatt, ground police backed off, Tampa police spokesman Steve Hegarty said in a news release. 

Wyatt then stopped his car, got out, “immediately began firing upon officers” and tried to carjack a woman, Hegarty said. At that point, police shot Wyatt. 

Tampa police officers and Florida Highway Patrol troopers performed CPR, but Wyatt died at the scene. Two handguns were found near his body. 

“At this time, it is unclear what connection, if any, the deceased had to the Tamp Bay area,” Hegarty said. 

Tampa police have no plans to release video of the officer-involved shooting. Four officers who shot Wyatt and the officer who Wyatt fired at were placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure, Hegarty said. 

No one else was injured in the gun battle.

In other news:

Police released an old mugshot photo of the suspect, Sean Edwards Tuggle, 26.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.