Bond set at $30K for mom charged in toddler’s death

A Fulton County magistrate Thursday set bond at $30,000 for the mother of a 2-year-old girl who was pronounced dead hours after they arrived at a downtown Atlanta bus station from out of state.

(An earlier report from the court indicated no bond was set. After the hearing, however, a bond was established.)

Alexus Washington remained in Fulton County Jail charged with child cruelty and reckless conduct in the death of her daughter, Ty’mia Simpson. Washington is scheduled to appear before another judge next month for a preliminary hearing.

Ty’mia was found unresponsive early Tuesday after police officers responded to a call at Spring and Peters streets. The child was taken to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Hughes Spalding and pronounced dead at 3:19 a.m.

Washington, from North Carolina, told police she traveled from Greenville, S.C., to Atlanta on a Greyhound bus early Monday but missed her connecting bus to New Orleans.

She told police she walked around Atlanta on Monday before getting a ride back to the bus station with a police officer late Monday. “While at the bus station,” the report said, “the mother noticed that her daughter was unresponsive.”

According to the report, Washington “stated she took the child outside to cool her off and went to the store.” After walking back to the bus station, Ty’mia was still unresponsive, and Washington began CPR, she told police.

“The mother did not go to the hospital to seek treatment for her child and stated she made no attempt to summon help. The mother also made no attempt to contact an ambulance, police, fire or 911,” the report said.

Someone noticed the mother hysterical and called police.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Georgia relatives share photo of 9 killed in duck boat accident
  2. 2 9 members of one family among 17 killed in duck boat accident on lake
  3. 3 16 arrested in massive marijuana bust in Gwinnett

More from AJC