Caption

Another home burns down in botched attempt to kill bedbugs with rubbing alcohol

Three people were hospitalized and 10 are homeless after a Cincinnati woman attempted to douse a bedbug infestation in her home with rubbing alcohol and started a house fire instead, authorities said.

>> Teen trying to kill bedbug starts fire, causes $300,000 in damage, firefighters say

The rubbing alcohol — which is extremely flammable — ignited because of a nearby open flame, according to authorities cited by the New York Post. The ensuing fire caused $250,000 in damage to the five-unit multi-family Ohio home.

Three people had to be hospitalized for smoke inhalation, according to CBS News. Their injuries are not considered life-threatening.

For now, the American Red Cross is assisting and providing housing for those displaced by the inferno, WXIX reported.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Atlanta City Hall: Former mayor doled out over $518K in bonuses
  2. 2 White golf course owners said five African-American women played too s
  3. 3 Atlanta rapper accused of organizing cross-country drug operation

>> Read more trending news

This is the second time that a rubbing-alcohol-fueled fire has burned down a Cincinnati house in as many months. Just after Thanksgiving, a 19-year-old lit a match after dousing a bedbug in rubbing alcohol, causing a fire that did $300,000 in damage to six apartments and left eight people homeless.

Cincinnati District 3 Fire Chief Randy Freel told WXIX that people should stay away from any home remedies for bedbugs, especially the more flammable kinds.

“Get a professional,” he said.

Read more here.

Teen Starts Fire, Causes $300,000 In Damage Trying To Kill Bed Bug

More from AJC